Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lupe's Notes - Dec 16, 2012


Good afternoon sisters. What a wonderful Sacrament Meeting.
THOUGHT: “Through our faithfulness to the gospel we can find safety from the perils of our day and be a positive influence in the world.”
President George Albert Smith

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. The Stake is in great need of men and women to participate in the Stake Choir which will be singing at Stake Conference in January, Sunday Session. There will be a practice tonight at the Stake Center from 6:30 – 8 pm. This will be a fun experience as the wards meet to sing together, learning beautiful music. Thank you.
  2. Thank you to all who participated in the Ward Christmas Party, especially Ashley Pead and Jen Rutter.
  3. We will be passing around a Journal Notebook for Sister Linda Winder is on a mission with her husband. Please be sure and write something for her.
  4. Mark your calendar for January 10th at 7 pm at the Stake Center. We will be taking care of ourselves: mind, body and spirit/

BIRTHDAYS: Dec18th Bobbi T. and Jennifer H. Have a great day sisters.

Our lesson today was #24 from the George Albert Smith Manual and presented by Pat H. “Righteous Living in Perilous Times”

You'll have to excuse my voice. I probably sound like it's a man giving the lesson. I was up several times during the night taking care of my throat and praying that I could speak. At lease I can talk. During my many episodes last night, I was awake for hours thinking of this lesson. As I was reading my lesson yesterday and thinking about it, I couldn't help but have thoughts of the history of the world. My mind settled on Adam and Eve as I was thinking of the message from George Albert Smith who taught this message from the time he was called in 1945 until he died in 1951. It was a favorite theme of his.

How apropos in his day and now. I began to think of Adam and Eve and all that moms have to go through in their lives. She went through the most perils of motherhood. None more difficult than having a sibling murder a sibling. Now we're going to the year 2013. The same thing that Eve had to experience, that in the Old Testament they were told to live righteously. In the Book of Mormon they were told they had to live righteously. To live righteously in the time of peril. We can see civilizations that did not abide that counsel.

George Albert Smith's service as a General Authority spanned most of the first half of the 20th century. During this period the world saw many devastating and tumultuous events, including the Great Depression and two world wars. These calamities, together with what he considered a general moral decline in society, led President Smith to say more than once, “This world is in a critical condition.” He saw in world events the fulfillment of prophecies about the last days, and he was convinced that the only hope for peace in the world was obedience to God's laws.


When a person is in critical condition, he is between life and death. He chose to use that term to describe our society and world. How worse the world has gotten. When our prophet talks to us, we are told to be positive, to have a positive attitude and be cheerful.

“At the height of World War I, he warned, “War will not cease and the strife in this world will not end until the children of men repent of their sins and turn to God and serve him and keep his commandments.”

Do we see this taking place today? It's a true principle taught by Adam, the Book of Mormon, the New Testament by the Savior, President Monson today. George Albert Smith taught also. In the book of Ether, we are told that the one antidote for the ills of society. This society has promises from the Lord that we will be provided for, protected as long as we remember the Lord who gave us this promised land as long as we keep His commandments.

We just went through an election where the politicians would tell us how our society and nation could be helped. All of them will continue to tell us what the antidote is to help society.

Our job is to do all that we can to serve as an antidote to the ills of society.

They have no answers anymore for the death sentence of our society. They don't acknowledge what the real ills of society are: wickedness, sin, turning from Heavenly Father.

The Saints do not accept the conditions of the world. We are to remain active and do all that we can do. President Smith also found optimism in his belief that righteous Latter-day Saints cold have a power influence on the world around them. He taught that the Saints should not merely accept the condition of the world but should remain active in their communities and strive to make their influence felt, in spite of any opposition they might face. “We are all under the obligation of making this world a happier place for our having lived in it,” he said.”

In my lifetime, I have seen the attitude of those who point to the prophecies of the last days and the fulfillment of them. The wickedness, they see the evidence of it and say 'there is nothing I can do, so they just want to let the steam roller of wickedness run them over.

That is not the attitude that Heavenly Father expects us to take. We must do all we can to stop that wickedness from taking hold in our society today.

As I watched Mitt Romney and the explanation of the Church on Television, especially the one that had to do about the Humanitarian program, I wondered if society saw all the good of the Church. I know that some of my non-LDS friends had their eyes opened. I see that we can be a good influence and make a difference.

I was so impressed by Brother Parker as he was interviewed about the wicked and vicious act that was committed. When I heard him the first time, I thought that he might be a member as he talked aboaut the gifts of his little girl had received from Heavenly Father. About the beautiful world that she had created. I have noticed that his interview has been featured over and over on many channels. Then I heard last night that they had moved from Ogden a few months ago to Connecticut. What a wonderful example his interview can be.

Lynette: Our strength comes from our faith. How can you survive?

They have never mentioned that he is a Mormon, an LDS. I think a lot of people will find that out. On Youtube. I am so impressed by the influence he's been having on the media. He said that his prayers and faith was going to all the families. Also that his love was also to the family of the young man who created this heinous crime. I a so grateful this is sthe message of the gospel of Jesus Christ to all our nation. I want to meet this Brother Packer. The spirit has guided him to have a great influence for the Church. I am grateful I didn't miss the interview.

I would like for you to think of a way you have been influenced for your righteousness or who you have influenced. In the spirit of influence.

“Sister Belle S. Spafford, general president of the Relief Society, shared an experience in which President Smith taught her this principle. Shortly after being called to her position, Sister Spafford was notified of a meeting to be held in New York City by the National Council of Women. The Relief Society had been a member of that council for many years, but recently several other members of the council had been antagonistic toward the Church and had embarrassed Latter-day Saint delegates at its meetings. Because of this, Sister Spafford and her counselors felt that the Relief Society should terminate its membership in the council, and they drafted a recommendation expressing their views. Sister Spafford later recounted:

“By appointment one morning, I went alone to see President George Albert Smith, taking the recommendation with me, together with a list of the reasons why the recommendation was being made. The President carefully read the typed material. Then he inquired, “Isn't this the organization which the sisters joined before the turn of the century?”

“I said, Yes, sir'

“He said, 'Am I then to understand that you now wish to terminate that membership?”

“I said, 'Yes, sir.' Then I added, “You know, President Smith, we don't get anything from the Council.'

“The President looked at me with surprise. He said, 'Sister Spafford, do yo always think in terms of what you get? Don't you think it is well at times to think in terms of what you have to give? I believe, ' he continued, 'that Mormon women have something to give to the women of the world, and that they may also learn from them. Rather than have you terminate your memership0, I suggest that yo take several of your ablest board members and go back to this meeting.'

“Then he said with emphasis, 'Make your influence felt.'”

Sister Spafford obeyed this counsel and was later appointed to leadership positions in the National Council of Women, eventually being elected its president.

She was general president for over 30 years. I can't imagine having to face President Smith, but I'm sure he was kind but direct.

Lynette: I believe she had gone to one meeting and the women would not let her sit, but the president went and took Belle and had her sit at the front table.

Abuse of that kine had been going on for 40 years, but then she was elected unanimously to be their president.. We must let our influence for good to be felt throughout the world. We can use the media now. Be careful. This 'pants' thing came up and I sent an e-mail to the wrong woman. Luckily, she was a friend and asked me 'why are you telling me this. Oh, I told her I had sent it to the wrong person. I'm trying to learn how to use the computer better, am in the process of learning. Many of you are so good at it.

Any questions? Are you thinking?

Amy W: While I was reading this story, it reminded me of President Hinckley while I was going to law school at BYU. The Dean of the Law School told us that he had gone to a luncheon and had been sat next to President Hinckley. He turned to him and said the US News and World's Report does not put the BYU Law School number one. Why is the law school not number one? So the department reviewed, asked questions and well, BYU does things different. So they renew their effort to have opinions in the world be different. There is a fine line in coming on too strong. Sometimes we shrug our shoulders, thumbing our nose at them and should be the opposite. This is what we have but we welcome what you have. Never manage to leave out the welcoming part.

Many recognize this, President Hinckley, and George Albert Smith understood. Our influence needs to be felt throughout the world. We need a larger army of missionaries. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the antidote for the ills of society.

How have your lives been changed?

Holly B: I am from Georgia and when the Atlanta Temple was opened again after renovation, I found out about the Open House. I sent out invitations and images of the Temple. It was a great way I felt I could share missionary work. Do it with love. It's true, as we invite others, they can see and feel your love for others. Try to be an influence.

Janet S: My brother who is a member of the Stake President said that the Stake President had had a vision. He wanted to have a Christmas Program with another Church, a Church of Christ (evangelical). They invited them to join with the LDS Church in participating in the Choir. There were 5 musical numbers from the Messiah and the orchestra. Their Pastor spoke, my brother and the Stake President. As I watch the choir, I was trying to pick out who was LDS and who wasn't. I was reminded of the talk by President Hinckley to take the good they had and build on it. They wanted to worship Christ like we do. It was a good experience to share with our children.

Lynette: I remember when I had my first principalship. It was was during the ERA time and so the attitude was, she's a woman and a Mormon. The Student Council was having it's first dance of the years and had decided on this particular DJ. I said no, but they tried to convince me otherwise. They even brought a man from the Radio Station. I told them, I listened to your station and don't like your music, and I'm the one who approves the music. So they got another DJ and had fun. I found out I had been given the roughest school in Billings, Montana. I also asked them to stand for the National Anthem. I was gone for training for three weeks, and when I came back we played the National Anthem and it was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir that they were using.

What an influence. Years ago in Las Vegas, there was a Black minister, a Baptist Pastor who had nothing good to say about the Mormon Church. One day, their church burned down and it was the Mormons who rebuild their chapel. When they had their dedication, they invited us and as their choir was singing a little neighbor bod said to me, “ If our Sacrament meeting is like this, I wouldn't be bored.

My daughter-in-law Jenny and I were talking about people who wonder, those in the news, others, 'why would God allowed this or that to happen. The answer can be given 'we have removed God from our schools.' We can't log out a shooter but we can log out God. It's getting worse. We must be so careful.

In closing, 9 of us went to see Bill O'Reilly and Miller. I don't always agree with everything he says, but I do watch him every day sometimes twice a day. I love that he is fighting for Christmas. To say Merry Christmas, to say Christmas Tree. I give him my full support. Merry Christmas. I get chocked up. We have to fight for right of righteousness. Stay on the right side of the Lord. Be an influence. Be warrior in the Savior. The Lord will guide us in this endeavor.

Penny shared with us a conference that she attended on history and prophecy. How including people of other religions and doing for them can definitely change people's mind about us, the Church. Some religious people have even changed their minds about us, and are beginning to see our true character.

Next Sunday is General Conference talk “ Be Anxiously Engaged by Elder Ballard.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment