THOUGHT: “By forgiving others, we free ourselves from the
burden of hatred and prepare ourselves for eternal life.”
President George Albert Smith
ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Manila 12th Ward
Christmas Party: The Christmas Elves Rescue Mission! Sat., the 15th
9:30 am for a delicious breakfast and an opportunity to give back and
spread Christmas cheer. Wear your PJ's or comfy clothes, come visit with
Santa and have fun as one of Santa's elves – participating in some great
service projects.
- Jami E. is in need of White
Christmas Trees for the photo with Santa scene.
- Kay J. wishes to thank the
sisters who helped with the quilts. She is still missing two or three
quilts that she has not gotten back. If you have a quilt, please return it
to her b the 15th. Also if anyone has material you no longer
need, please donate to her so they can start to make more quilts and
children's clothes. Thank you.
- This Wednesday evening
the Deacons will be going to your homes and collecting Toilet Paper. It is
a legitimate request and no they will not TP your home.
- There is a Christmas
Concert tonight at the Alpine Tabernacle. Families are invited and our
Luone will be singing. Pre-concert is at :30 pm and the Concert itself
starts at 7 pm.
- Stake Choir rehearsals for Stake Conference
will be held Dec 9th and 16th at the Stake Center
from 6:30 – 8 pm. All voices welcome.
BIRTHDAYS December 12th – Emily T. and
Susan F; Dec. 14th – Rochelle S. Happy Birthday sisters.
Enjoy your day.
Our lesson today was presented by Tiffany from
George Albert Smith, lesson 23 “ Of You It Is Required to Forgive”
This morning I have no outline and no handout.
After last week's lesson by Megan, I felt the need to open it up to you to
share and express your feelings regarding this topic. I would like to express
my testimony of the reality of the Atonement and to be able to partake of the
blessings of it.
I would like to begin with President Smith's
story of when he was still a young man.
In 1897, while still a young man, George Albert
Smith enlisted in the Utah National Guard. At the encouragement of some of his
companions, he ran for an elected office in the Guard, but during the weeks
leading up to the election, a rival guardsman began spreading false rumors
accusing George Albert Smith of unethical practices. As a result, Sergeant
Smith lost an election that he felt he should have won. What made the situation
more difficult was that the man who spread the false rumors had once been a
friend.
Though he tried to brush it off, the offense
filled George Albert Smith's heart with bitterness. He went to church the
following Sunday, but he did not feel right about taking the sacrament. He
prayed for help and realized that he needed to repent of the resentment he was
feeling. He decided to seek out his friend and be reconciled with him.
George Albert Smith went directly to the man's
office and said in a soft voice, “My brother, I want you to forgive me for
hating you the way I have for the last few weeks.
”Immediately his friend's heart softened,
“Brother Smith, you have no need for forgiveness,” he said. “It is I who feed
forgiveness from you.” They shook hands, and thereafter they remained good
friends.”
It's a beautiful story and it illustrated a
divine attribute. In chapter I we read of a list of resolutions that he called
his “personal creed” - 11 ideals that he committed to live by:
“I would not knowingly wound the feelings
of any, not even one who may have wronged me, but would seek to do him good and
make him my friend.”
As I have shared his experience, I would like to
have you share yours as to how you reconciled this principle of forgiveness.
Karen M: A long time ago a friend came and said that I had
hurt her feelings unknowingly. I was so surprised as it never my intention to
do so. That was 40 years ago and we have been friends since then.
President Smith went directly to this man's
office instead of talking to others about the situation. The man's heart was
softened and they were friends again. They moved past it.
Robby : A long time ago when I first joined the Church
this lady befriended me, but then she started to avoid me. Whenever she saw me,
she would run the other way. It bothered me for a whole year. I had my husband
buy a flower arrangement and I took it to her house and said. “Please forgive
me if I did anything to hurt you.” She said 'thank you' and it was not anything
you did. It was all me, not you. We both had peace. I had peace that I didn't
do anything and she had peace. Sometimes it is good to apologize.
Shanel: I never watch Lifetime movies but just at
Christmas. Someone made this comment: “Forgiveness is not earn, it is given” We
wait for those who offend us to give it.
Comment: There was this boy in college that made a
comment that brought back something that had to do with high school. He thought
that I had judged him. Some bad memories. I tried to communicate with him but
he wanted to let it go. I said no, we need to lay it out on the table. We did
and though our friendship is not as strong as it once was, the bond is still
there. We are at peace and the situation is resolved.
Amy W: When I was 22 and a young married, I was called
to be the Young Women First Counselor. It was a large ward and we had about
50-60 young women and I had 3 advisers and one of those was the previous First
Counselor that I replaced. I was going to Law school and was not a feely,
touchy person. They were an older group of sisters. One woman, I could tell,
gave off some strange vibes and I could tell that she didn't like me. I would
go to Heavenly Father and ask if I should apologize to her. I assumed that I
needed to do so, but after praying I felt strongly that I should not say
anything to her. The answer was 'there is nothing for you to do, carry on' and
it was very peaceful. This went on for two years and I would pray abut it
because I was concerned that it was harming the girls. So after two years, I
get a call from her and she asks me to come over to her house, I need to talk
to you. I go and sit down and she is weeping. She says, you have to forgive me
for hating you for 2 years. I am so sorry, was it something I have done? No,
she said. I was so upset that you got this calling and I didn't want to be
released. All the girls like you and they don't seem to like me much anymore. I
was not able to get my temple recommend renewed because I hated you so much. I
forgive you, I said OK. I learned that one, for two years, sometimes things
don't come automatically. If I had gone to her sooner, I would have gotten in
the way of her process. It had nothing to do with me. It is very sacred this
process of coming to forgiveness. We come to forgiveness because of something
else in our lives. It is nothing to be ashamed about if you can't forgive
instantly; as long as you are working on it. Tod respects that. I am in awe
that God respects that process. He doesn't leave us without tools. There is so
much to be learned about forgiveness. There is so much love in forgiveness.
Thank you. It leads me to the hymn “ Because I
Have Been Given Much”. President Smith:
“The Lord has given us great information,
has revealed His mind and will unto us, has taught us things that the world
knows not of, and, in accordance with the information we have received, He
holds us responsible and expects us to live a higher life, a more ideal life
than those who do not as fully comprehend the Gospel as we do. The spirit of
forgiveness is something that the Latter-day Saints might with profit exhibit
more fully among themselves....We must get into a condition where we can
forgive our brethren.”
If we have understanding of the Plan of
Salvation and give our hearts and will to the Lord, there's the blessing. It's
about love.
Because I Have Been Given Much. Third verse
Because I have been blessed by thy great love,
dear Lord,
I'll share thy love again, according to thy
word.
I shall give love to those in need; I'll show
that love by word and deed:
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.
It kept coming to my mind. We have bben given
the ultimate gift of the Atonement, an expression of forgiveness. We can have
the opportunity to give that love and forgiveness to others. Can into the
condition to forgive others.
Holly M: As I try to grasp the concept of forgiveness I
think that when we refuse to forgive is it saying that I have the right to
judge. We have to forgive all people. He is the perfect judge. We should say,
Father you know what's in their heart. He sees the weakness of the other
person. It's about trusting the Lord and turning it over to Him. It's a lesson
I have had to learn.
Melissa Barton: I remember the story of a woman who was going
through a divorce and she told her Bishop that she was not able to forgive him.
Keep your heart open to forgive him at some point Heavenly Father can work with
that as you come to feel the lesson of forgiveness.
Christy S: I like what Amy said about it being a process.
It is a two way gift. All of us are desperate for relief of having to forgive
someone. We are given this gift. When I forgive, it is the key to unlocking the
relief of that pain. The minute you give that gift, Heavenly Father gives you
the ability to have relief. Once, and the sooner we are able to extend that ,
the sooner we are able to feel that peace. When I take that will and give it to
Heavenly Father, I feel relief.
Lynette: Sometimes, if certain situation when you
forgive, they don't take responsibility for their actions. They tend to say
that you own the problem. They continue to blame you because you don't forgive.
It is easy to be forgiving, but you don't want to be a whipping boy.
Amy W: There is no correlation between forgiving and
allowing them to continue their abuse. We can be forgiving but we can remove
ourselves from a situation. You're supposed to forget it, there is no excuse
for domestic violence.
Micheale C: Forgiveness is not a gift if it being
manipulative.
Luone: It has to be something that works with the
spirit. I have tried to make something right, but people have not in a been
kind and loving situation. If we do not forgive, it only harms us. It needs to
be given as a free gift. It we know that we have done all we can, that's true
blessing. Listen to the spirit, it's a blessing to us from Heavenly Father.
“If our lives were such that, when we differ
with our neighbor, [family] if, instead of setting ourselves up as judges one
against another, we could honestly and conscientiously appeal to our Father in
Heaven and say, “Lord, judge between me and my brother; thou knowest my heart;
Thou knowest I have no feeling of anger against him; help us to see alike, and
give us wisdom that we may deal righteously with each other,” how few
differences there would be, and what joy and blessings would come to us! But,
little difficulties arise from time to time which disturb the equilibrium of
our daily lives, and we continue to be unhappy because we cherish an improper
influence, and have not charity....”
When we give our sorrow, our pain over to the
Lord, He will deal with that, and then we can put it to rest. Give our heart to
him and move on.
I have a testimony of that principle. Burdens
are lifted and we get relief. May we remember that we can work through that
process. Those feelings will not linger. I read this quote “for every
minute we are angry, we lose 60 minutes of happiness.” I
know that through the power of the Atonement, we have the ability to work with
Heavenly Father to forgive and ask for forgiveness.
Have a good week. Next Sunday will be lesson #24
“ Righteous Living in Perilous Times”.



No comments:
Post a Comment