Good Afternoon sisters. What a
wonderful Ward Conference we enjoyed.
THOUGHT: A
Message from the First Presidency. Dear
Sisters: In grateful recognition of the blessing of Relief Society
in the lives of Church members, we have directed the preparation of
Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society. We
pray that this book will be a blessing to you and to those whose
lives you touch. We express our love and admiration for you and
recognize that you are beloved daughters of Heavenly Father and
dedicated disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. You are part of a
great worldwide sisterhood. Guided by your motto, “Charity never
faileth,” you can strengthen families and build up the kingdom of
God on the earth. We encourage you to study this book and allow its
timeless truths and inspiring examples to influence your lives. We
testify that the Lord has restored the fulness of the gospel through
the Prophet Joseph Smith and that Relief Society is an important part
of that restoration. Relief Society sisters have a glorious
heritage. We pray that this volume will be an important resource for
preserving that heritage. The
First Presidency
ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- We are sadden to announce that Bob Carlisle's son passed away. You will receive information via e-mail from the Bishop.
- Thank you so very much to all the sisters who participated in providing food for the Daley Funeral luncheon. It is so wonderful to now that we can count on you sisters whenever help is needed.
- STAKE RELIEF SOCIETY CONFERENCE in celebration of the Relief Society. “Circle of Sisters” will here this Thursday, the 14th at 7 pm at the Manila Building by the blue silos. Sunday Dress is appropriate since it will be held in the chapel. Robby and Gayla will be part of the program. Invite someone to go with you or you can car pool.
- Our sweet Lynette is home.
- Be sure to check out the valuable information for March in your Preparedness Binders.
- A reminder regarding President Livingston challenge to read “Daughters in My Kingdom by the end of the year with his beautiful promise “If you are having feelings of despair, don't know what your mission is, feel inadequate or need help in any way, if you will search and prayerfully read with a desire to find answers, I promise “If you do so, you will find specific insight for your concerns.”
- Jenny Holman had surgery and is in Provo at the Aspen Rehab.
BIRTHDAYS:
March
11th
– Jenifer Kidd; March 12th
- Amy Smart; March 13th
– Rebecca Poulsen and March 13th
- Sister Francesca Montagnoli. Happy birthday to all of you.
Today, being Ward Conference, we were privileged to hear from our
good Bishop Edman.
Sisters,
it is a pleasure to be here. It's quite an opportunity to stand here
before the sister. Today I want to talk about Truth. John
8:32
says: “And ye shall know the truth, and the
truth shall make you free.”
The truth is setting us free. When we know what truth is and our
motives are good, it does set us free. Heavenly Father has all truth
and power and pure motive to do all that He can do to help us return
to him. What is truth?
Robby: Facts
Janet S: It's transparent.
Yes, we can see through the facade. Let's turn to Doctrine and
Covenants 93:24.
Amy R: “And truth is knowledge of things as they
are, and as they were, and as they are to come;”
Jacob also refers to truth in the Book of Mormon Jacob 4:13
That covers it all. You really know a lot if you know truth. The
truth about ourselves, who we really are, what characteristics we
have We can see ourselves as our Heavenly Father sees us. It's
hared to see the truth as to our characteristics. As I have
interviewed people as a principal, for jobs, I would ask them to tell
me about their strengths and weaknesses. “I work too hard; I care
too much. I don't ask anymore. I once asked a woman to tell me what
her current principal would say abut you. “That I was in his
office a lot crying too much.”
Let's talk about weaknesses first. The ability to see our weaknesses
and our strengths. First, Ether 12:27
Marlene L: “And if men come unto me I will show unto
them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be
humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves
before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in
me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”
Now 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Robby: “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient
for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly
therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of
Christ may rest upon me.
“Therefore I take pleasure in
infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in
distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
Are weakness a good thing? WHY?
Robby: It makes us rely on the Savior.
In Ether, the Lord says that our weakness will make us humble. Will
we have eternal weakness? What will be the duration of our weakness?
Karen M: Part of life is overcoming obstacles.
We gain the most strength in overcoming.
Laurie A: Our weakness can stay with us a long time at least
until we rely on the Savior. There is no other way.
We tend to get in this mind set – Stan tells us we cannot overcome
it. That we will never be able to overcome our weakness. I have no
musical talent and feel it will take eternity to turn that into a
strength. I have given up on that one. If we take a weakness and
have the attitude that we cannot turn it into a strength, we are in
trouble.
What did Paul say? “Therefore I take pleasure in
infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in
distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
Now let's talk about strengths. I have given you a piece of paper
and pen, pencil. It is hared to see our weakness, but it's even
harder to see our own strengths. We are so conditioned to not be
able to recognize our strengths If we do not want to recognize our
the strengths that we have, we can lose them.
Amy W: We can become discouraged.
Holly B: We can't help others.
The Lord's plan is for all to become like Him. We are to strengthen
each other. We can't be an instrument for him if we don't don't and
use our strengths. This is difficult for all people of all ages,
youths etc., but I have found that Relief Society sisters are the
worse.
Gloria L: Sometimes it depends on how we were raised. My
mother used to tell me all the time to don't be boastful. As a
teenager, I did recognize my strength, but would remember the words
of my mother. I have learned to appreciate my strengths.
Robby: As parents we have to be so careful what we tell our
kids. Some parents tell their ids how useless they are.
As parents we have a lot to learn. We forget to see our children'
strengths. It is hard to do.
I want you to write on your paper the eternal characteristics that
you have that's a good strength.
Give yourself credit for doing something good.
Give yourself credit for doing something good.
How many of you found that hard to do? Why?
Laurie A: It's eternal. It's big.
Robby: But all characteristics are eternal.
Gayla: We feel like we are kind of good at it, but not
perfect.
I had you write it down because it felt safe If I asked you to pass
your paper to someone else, would you have written something else?
Would you have erased what you wrote? Would you have change what you
wrote?
Marlene L: Maybe they won't think I'm that way.
Emily T: I could hear my mother's voice ring through my head,
“You're such a peace maker”
The Lord's voice came in your mother's voice.
Karen M: If we don't know what our strengths are, look at
your Patriarchal Blessing.
It's a good place to look. I want to remind you that truth sets us
free. The truth about our weakness. We can't hide those but with
the Lord's help we can overcome them. And acknowledge your
strengths. Say, I'm really good at that. Then use that strength to
serve the Lord. Ask yourself: how can I use those strengths to be
an instruction for the Lord. He has plans for you to use those
strengths. I encourage you to ask Heavenly Father, your spouse, your
friends, your visiting teachers, Megan to help you find your own
strengths.
If you get into a depression because you can't see your strengths,
get help. My testimony is that we all have strengths.
So important to know the truth. Then you can discern what is from
Satan and what is from God.
You are all wonderful daughters of Heavenly Father. He loves you.
We can't meet here and not feel the love of Heavenly Father. Help
his kingdom Know what a privileged it is for me to be here with you.
Know what great strengths you have. You are a blessing to your
families and everyone else.
President
McCallister
Who remembers 1983-84? How many missionaries were out? 30,000
missionaries and we had a membership of 3 million. Fast forward into
the 90's. 60,000 missionaries. The bar was raised and there was a
higher standard for missionaries. It dropped to 42,000 – 45,000.
Recently we have 60,000 missionaries with 80,000 projected by mid
summer. By 2015 they expect 100,000 plus. We now have 58 new
missions.
Do you think the Brethren feel that this will fade away? How is it
going to continue? What is our role as mothers in Zion to accomplish
that? Who has a 16-17 years old son or 18 years old daughter st
home? What were your feelings when you heard the announcement?
Karen M: I cried because I knew we would be affected. They
were excited tears.
Laurie A: We were with our just- returned missionary
visiting his mission, sitting there with his Mission President. My
thoughts turned to the Mission President and I thought: how is he
going to handle this. My compassion was for him. I thought, it's
great but a huge undertaking.
Emily T: I felt relieved. It means I will not have to
babysit my sons after high school until they go on a mission.
Nichole: Same thing. Now we lose potential missionaries
after high school. They get out of high school and don't rally know
what to do. It is a good idea
Jami E: I have 5 boys and felt that I still had some time
with my oldest son. Now I feel that I have lost time. He could be
gone by June. I feel such pressure as a mom to get him ready. He's
all freak out, messed up his plans. So I tell him, it's not about
you. However, for him, I feel he needs to go away from home for a
semester or two. I felt pressured, but it's good they have more
options. Besides, he has eating issues.
There is a time factor, but don't feel that they have to go at age
18. That is an option,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, some will work to prepare for
their mission. We need to recognize that it's not the standard. We
must be careful to not make them feel bad if they don't go at 18.
Don't say, what are you still doing here? Shouldn't you be on a
mission?
Robby: Our granddaughter is 18 and she is excited. She did
ask: 'Do you think there will be any boys left when I get back?
She will make a better wife. Can you see, husband and wife returned
missionaries. They will have a better understanding of grace and the
atonement. Family Home Evenings will be different. Lets turn to
Doctrine and Covenants 88:73
Gloria L: “Behold, I will hasten my work in its
time.”
The work is hastening and we are there. Think of the numbers. How
are we going to pull that off? We have less time to help them
prepare. There was a symposium in Salt Lake and they emphasized
place for Family History Centers is in the home. MTCs are also in
the home. Like we talked about Family Councils and the importance of
obtaining and knowing and following the Lord's will. Turn to D&C
33:3
Cheryl: “For behold, the field is white already to
harvest; and it is the eleventh hour, and the last time that I shall
call laborers into my vineyard.”
We are there. The work is hastening. D&C88:74 is the recipe to
raise missionaries.
Gayla: “And I give unto you, who are the first
laborers in this last kingdom, a commandment that you assemble
yourselves together, and organize yourselves, and prepare yourselves,
and sanctify yourselves; yea, purify your hearts, and cleanse your
hands and your feet before me, that I may make you clean;”
What is it talking abut here? What do the young people need to know?
Repentance, the spirit, the Atonement, the grace of Christ and his
grace is sufficient for them. If it is handled properly and teach
them how it works, it will make them stronger. Don't ground, but
say: Let's talk about it, talk about the atonement. Interact on a
pure level.
Verse 75
Gloria: “That I may testify unto your Father, and
your God, and my God, that you are clean from the blood of this
wicked generation; that I may fulfil this promise, this great and
last promise, which I have made unto you, when I will.”
It concerns the whole repentance.
Verse 76: “Also, I give unto you a commandment that ye shall
continue in prayer and fasting from this time forth.”
This is a recipe. Teach them what fasting is for. Teach them the
concept of fasting and prayer.
Verse 78
“Teach ye diligently and my
grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in
theory, in principle in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all
things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for
you to understand;
How does this work?
Robby: If you are teaching, you are learning too. I watch my
husband as he deals with his Parkinson's disease. He spends every
minute studying the scriptures about grace. He is teaching me. By
teaching the children and being an example, we are improving our own
grace.
Have them teach.
Robby: I used to let my children do the FHE lessons and all
three of them have confidence in their ability to teach.
It's great point. Involve your youth. If some of them fail, it's a
good learning opportunity. It is Christ's way of teaching. Give
them positive feed back. Put the burden of learning on the learner.
Implement better.
You play a big role in implementing these things with your children.
Are they learning to repent? Through the Grace of our Savior, Jesus
Christ, they can repent. The Lord is hastening this Work. You play
a big role. Recognize our role and opt into that role.
Have a good week sisters, and next week's lesson is #6 'Becoming
Perfect before the Lord: “ A litter Better Day by Day'




No comments:
Post a Comment