Sunday, February 3, 2013

Lesson Notes Sunday, February 3, 2013


Birthdays, Alisa J 6th and Billie W 7th

In our efforts to give Lupe a break this week following some surgery, we have made a pathetic attempt to fill Lupe's place in recapping today's lesson. It took two of us (Martha and Amy) to even make the attempt. So have patience with us. Here's a rough attempt at capturing today's lesson.

Lesson taught by Amy S.

It is an interesting thing to prepare a first Sunday lesson in Relief Society. There is no manual. We have to go entirely by the spirit. I’ve felt very clearly inspired about what we should talk about today, but there is no outline, so I’m relying on your comments and thoughts.

Today I would like to follow up on the Bishop’s lesson on the 5th Sunday in December about teaching and preparing our youth – especially as parents – for missions and to go to the Temple.

I’ve been struck lately as I’ve read the Church News and other places about the leaders of the Church talking about “hastening the work” – that specifically the change in the ages for missionary service is hastening the work. Elder Ballard recently quoted D&C 88: 73, “Behold I will hasten my work in its time.” And that time is here.

Nicole L: Amazing for us to witness modern-day revelation from out prophet in the changing of missionary ages. 

Which means our roles as parents, grandparents, leaders and teachers has become more urgent. There’s so much we can do, but I’d like to discuss three places to start. This topic could be so overwhelming. Please listen to the spirit and choose just 1 thing; 1 place to start for you and your family. The Lord knows you and your circumstances and the personalities of those you are responsible for. He will help you know where to start. “By small and simple things, great things are brought to pass.” Start with one thing, and later move on to another.


Lynette A: As I look back I sometimes regret that I did not do more to prepare my son with Gospel principles. He went to church and participated in the gospel, but I wish I had done more in our home. These days it’s not adequate to let them just attend meetings. We need to talk about the Gospel at home.

Francesca M:  That is the beauty of a ward family. There’s that saying that “it takes a village” and it’s true – so many teachers and leaders can have an impact, have had an impact on me. The term “brothers and sisters” has real meaning. When I graduated from High School, my mom was so grateful to all of my leaders who loved, taught and inspired me.

At different stages different teachers and people can have a profound impact on our children. I look at my own teenage years and at various leaders who changed my life during years when I wasn’t as interested in listening to my parents.

Lupe: I call that the 2nd Witness, helping mom. Kids don’t always respond to parents but when others say it – echo what parents have said – it may stick.

Gloria L:  Things were so different in my generation of raising children, there weren’t the resources we have now. Even more so when my parents were being raised.  Weren’t as well equipped as mothers are today. At the same time we need to remember that our children have choices. I remember wanting to put my son in a box and not let the outside world corrupt him and my husband reminded me, that’s what Lucifer wanted to do. We need to let them have choices. Some of my children are active and some are not. But like Heavenly Father, I had to let them choose. Do your best. That is enough. Don’t feel guilty.

Robby B: When I was first a member of the Church in Sydney I was a primary teacher.  Many times I could tell when it was the first time a child was hearing gospel concepts or stories.  When I moved to Utah a few years ago I again taught primary and I was amazed at how much the kids knew and how well taught they were.  But not all kids will listen to parents. Every child is different. Even now I have a daughter who doesn’t listen to what I say and another that believes and trusts everything I say. I agree with Francesca – it does take all of us to affect a child.

Isn’t it amazing watching this generation of children? They’re arriving better prepared.
We are blessed with so many resources to help our youth. The first is the change in the Church’s youth curriculum. Become familiar with it at www.lds.org/youth/learn It is fantastic! There are great resources there.

Here is a letter from the First Presidency introducing the Come Follow Me curriculum:

Beloved Parents, Teachers, Advisers, and Leaders of Youth:
You are called by the Lord to help youth become converted to the gospel. What a wonderful blessing this is! You have the opportunity to establish lifelong relationships with the precious youth the Lord has entrusted to your care. As you understand their unique needs and desires, you will be able to help them experience for themselves the blessings of learning and living the gospel every day.
The most important part of your service will be your own daily spiritual preparation, including prayer, scripture study, and obedience to the commandments. We encourage you to dedicate yourself to living the gospel with greater purpose than ever before. As you do, you will understand how to help youth learn the gospel by their own study and faith, to discover the truthfulness of the gospel for themselves, and to strengthen their families and others by sharing their experiences, insights, and testimony.
As your love for each youth grows, you will be filled with a desire to help them establish patterns of personal prayer, scripture study, and obedience that will lead them to conversion. Pray for the youth each day, and counsel with parents, leaders, and teachers to coordinate your efforts. You will be richly rewarded as you encourage, mentor, and support youth in every opportunity.
Every worthy Latter-day Saint can teach the gospel in the Savior’s way. As you follow His example, the Holy Ghost will help you know what to do. Your own testimony will grow, your conversion will be deepened, and you will be strengthened to meet the challenges of life.
May our Heavenly Father bless you in your service to His beloved youth.
The First Presidency 

I underlined a couple parts. First a reminder that we need to be studying and spiritually preparing ourselves. Second, that we need to help children to discover for themselves by DOING for themselves. 

I asked Catherine (my daughter) what she thought of the new curriculum. One thing she said is that now when her teachers ask questions in class, the teacher doesn’t just give the answer. They allow the kids to find the answers themselves. They are required to use the Topical Guide, Bible Dictionary, etc. to find and share the answers. This way they’re not just learning answers/doctrine, they’re also learning tools to find future answers for themselves.

Lynette A: It’s important to let kids experience the consequences of their choices. We can’t be ‘helicopter parents’ always swooping in to rescue our children.

I agree. I think that is a vital part of preparing for a mission and for life in general. Letting children learn from their own experiences, including letting them fail sometimes. We can’t be afraid of letting them fail. It’s how they mature.

Elder David Evans, General Authority and President of the Missionary Committee recently said this at the MTC in a MTC presidents training session:

"This is [the Lord] hastening His work. He's hastening His work to the world, and He's hastening His work here in the kingdom, in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This will be, not only numerically but spiritually, the greatest generation of missionaries we've ever had," Elder Evans declared.
“Even so, he cautioned, "They will need to be taught and counseled, and in some cases they will need to be helped so that they can receive the full blessings of the Atonement and to repent of the things they've done wrong. The doctrine forever and ever that you will need to teach as part of your teaching the doctrine of Christ is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement and repentance." (Elder David Evans, Chair of the Missionary Committe to departing MTC Presidents, Church News, Jan 26, 2013)

This is important for us as parents, but also for our children to understand. They are going to make mistakes along the way. That’s not unexpected, nor is it a reflection on us. That’s also what the Atonement is for. To help them repent and improve – grow stronger.  It’s important to remember that some of the greatest missionaries are those who have applied the Atonement in their own lives. Look at examples from the Book of Mormon – Alma, sons of Mosiah, etc.

Marlene L: Another thing we can do as parents and leaders is learn to ask good questions. (More to this amazing comment – of course, what do you expect – but I can’t remember the details. Marlene, if you see this chime in so I can amend these notes and all can partake of your wisdom! Humblest apologies.)

A second thing we can do is to become familiar with Preach My Gospel. Get a copy for yourself. IT’s a manual for teaching the gospel – which is what we are doing as parents. Our children are the most important people we will teach. This will help us.

Get a copy for the members of your family. There are even mini versions now! Let them become familiar with it. Perfect for family home evening.

Emily T: I want to put Candice C on the spot and share something I’ve learned about her family. We carpool to school in the mornings and her boys always come out to the car with the best attitude/spirit. One day I asked her what she did and she said they read for a few minutes from For the Strength of Youth every morning before school.

Candice confirms. We just read a little bit each day, but I want to arm them before I send them out into the world.

I love that! Another example of ‘small and simple things’ making a difference.

Finally, the third thing we can do is remember to focus on the WHY of the Gospel. President Uchtdorf talked about this at the General Relief Society broadcast in 2011. Here is what he said:

“Sometimes, in the routine of our lives, we unintentionally overlook a vital aspect of the gospel of Jesus Christ, much as one might overlook a beautiful, delicate forget-me-not. In our diligent efforts to fulfill all of the duties and obligations we take on as members of the Church, we sometimes see the gospel as a long list of tasks that we must add to our already impossibly long to-do list, as a block of time that we must somehow fit into our busy schedules. We focus on what the Lord wants us to do and how we might do it, but we sometimes forget why.
My dear sisters, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not an obligation; it is a pathway, marked by our loving Father in Heaven, leading to happiness and peace in this life and glory and inexpressible fulfillment in the life to come. The gospel is a light that penetrates mortality and illuminates the way before us.
While understanding the “what” and the “how” of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the “why.” When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet.
Let us not walk the path of discipleship with our eyes on the ground, thinking only of the tasks and obligations before us. Let us not walk unaware of the beauty of the glorious earthly and spiritual landscapes that surround us.
My dear sisters, seek out the majesty, the beauty, and the exhilarating joy of the “why” of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The “what” and “how” of obedience mark the way and keep us on the right path. The “why” of obedience sanctifies our actions, transforming the mundane into the majestic. It magnifies our small acts of obedience into holy acts of consecration. (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Forget Me Not, Ensign, October 2011)

He talked about it again in the Priesthood Session of April 2012:

From the newest ordained deacon to the most senior high priest, we all have lists of what we could and should do in our priesthood responsibilities. The what is important in our work, and we need to attend to it. But it is in the why of priesthood service that we discover the fire, passion, and power of the priesthood.
The what of priesthood service teaches us what to do. The why inspires our souls.
The what informs, but the why transforms. (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, The Why of Priesthood Service, April 2012)

In helping our children to understand what is being asked of them, we need to talk about the “Why of the Gospel”. But before we can talk to them, we need to understand “the WHY” ourselves.   We’re good at doing, but we need to understand why we’re asked to do what we do. Then we can better answer our children when they wonder why they need to help with Fast Offering or go to Church or prepare for a mission. The answer has to be more than, “Just because.” It has to tie back to God’s Plan of Salvation and to the Atonement.
And that’s the reason why we need to prepare to share this message with the rest of the world. So they can know the why – the purpose of life. So they can be blessed by the Atonement and knowledge of the Plan as well.

I know what our leaders are saying is true – that the Lord is hastening his work. And we’ve felt the excitement that has come from watching it come to pass. I think it’s only going to get more exciting as things progress. We are so lucky to be a part of it.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment