Saturday, August 9, 2014

Sister Spotlight: Janie C.



Where were you born and where did you grow up?
I was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I grew up in Potomac, Maryland, which is in the suburbs of Washington DC. 

What is your dream vacation spot, and why?
Taking my children to Hawaii has always been something I have wanted to do. It is a special place to me because my father went on a mission there. He has taken me there and shown me the beauty of the islands and the wonderful people.   

Who is your favorite scripture hero, and why?
I would have to say the Savior is my favorite scripture hero.  Throughout my life, I often reflect on how I think he would handle a situation. When a child is behaving in a difficult way or I'm hit with a challenging situation, His example has guided me many times to act in a way that would be better than what I might have come up with. I am grateful for His perfect example.

Name some of your hobbies/interests
I love doing many things. Over the years I have learned my interests have been significantly impacted by my children's interests. I have enjoyed sitting through and cheering during many events including basketball, soccer, flag football, baseball, golf, running, ballet, volleyball, tennis and singing.  I personally enjoy exercise when I can make time for it.  I also enjoy going to Broadway musicals and really just musicals in general. Spending time with my family is at the top of fun for me. Sometimes just one on one going to a restaurant with a child or out on a walk with another.

Do you have a calling in the ward? If so, what is it?
I currently am in Young Womens working with the Mia Maids. They truly are a great group of girls. I am amazed as I hear their responses to questions asked in class. I also love the women I work with they are awesome and truly fun to be with.

Tell us a little bit about your family.
I have 5 boys and 1 daughter. My oldest is 20 and will be going to UVU. My next is on a mission in Argentina. My third son goes to American Fork High School and the fourth went to Mountain ridge last year and may switch to American Fork Junior High this year. My youngest  two go to Deerfield Elementary.  We have a cute little dog named Coco that does cute tricks but we are still trying to teach him the trick of being potty trained.

What is something you would like to learn how to do?
There are many things I would love to learn to do. I would love to try yoga and pilates.  I would love to travel more and learn how to use my nice camera instead of simply trusting the automatic mode.

Tell us a little bit more about your background.
I graduated from Utah State University where I earned an Early Childhood Education Degree. This is where Danny and I met also. He played on the basketball team there and I worked for the food service that catered their meals. Apparently I filled grape juice flasks well:) Education was really important to me and I loved science as I had been exposed from a young age to a father's awesome dental laboratory. After finishing my bachelors I went back and got a Nursing degree. I worked at Utah Valley Hospital on their medical oncology floor while my husband got his law degree. After that time I have been a homemaker for 18 years. This last year I have reentered the nursing profession and I work on the Mother baby unit/ Nicu/ Peds at American fork and am pulled to Utah Valley Hospital if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment