Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lupe's notes June 9 2013

Good afternoon sisters. What a beautiful day it has been.

THOUGHT: “We should bring our wills into subjection to the will of the Father; and feel to say, what is the will of our Father, whom we are here in the world to serve? Then every act that we perform will be a success.”
Lorenzo Snow

ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  1. Moms of girls going to Camp. Please make sure that your girls' camp gear is at Laurie Anderson's home tomorrow between noon and 7 pm.
  2. Note: Amy Waldron is still our Compassionate Service Leader.

Wish to express our appreciation for the outgoing Relief Society presidency. And want to welcome the new Presidency, Amy S, President, Bobbi T, 1st counselor, Jennifer R., 2nd Counselor and Melissa S, secretary. Know that we sustain you.

BIRTHDAYS: June 4th – Gloria L.; 8th – Sarah H.; 9th – Sally S.; 9th Chao S.; 12th Sharon J.; 15th Sharon H. Happy birthday sisters.

Our lesson today was given by Tiffany W., from the Lorenzo Snow Manual. Lesson #11 “ I Seek Not Mine Own Will, but the Will of the Father”

I am so happy to be here, I have missed you and feel grateful. I have felt your love and testimony. I testify that this lesson has the potential to inspire our potential as disciples. To align our will to Heaven's.

I appreciated President's Livingston's remarks at last week's Stake Conference about his comments and testimony about submitting our will to the Father.


On March 31, 1899, President Lorenzo Snow trave3led to Brigham Young Academy (now Brigham Young University), where a large group of Latter-day Saints had gathered to commemorate his 85th birthday. In the morning, he delivered a devotional address to the men in the congregation. At the same time, the women had a similar meeting, conducted by wives of members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. In the afternoon, all met together.

As part of the afternoon meeting, 23 children “marched upon the rostrum, and facing President Snow, sang two songs..., after which each child presented the President with a bouquet of flowers.” President Snow expressed his gratitude to the children and pronounced a blessing upon them. Then eight Brigham Young Academy students came to the stand, one at a time. Each one, representing an organization in the school, presented a carefully prepared tribute to their prophet. In response to these words of affection and admiration, President Snow said:

Now brethren and sisters, I do not know what to say about all this. I should like to go home and think about it, but I suppose a few remarks are expected, and I suppose that I should say something, but I really don't know what to say. There is this, however. I understand very distinctly that you are not paying this honor to me as Lorenzo Snow, but because of the cause I represent in connection with my brethren, my counselors and the members of the Quorum of the Twelve....I feel that whatever I have accomplished that it is not Lorenzo Snow, and the scenes that have brought me to this position as President of the Church—it is not Lorenzo Snow, but this remarkable expression; I have thought of it and it is before me constantly I all of my labors: 'I can of myself do nothing; as I hear I judge, and my judgments is just.' Now, why did He say that His judgment was just? He says, because 'I seek not my own will but the will of my Father who sent me.' That is the principle, my brethren and sisters, that I have endeavored to act upon ever since it was revealed to me that my Father in heaven, and your Father in heaven, exists. I have endeavored to do His will...

How does this apply to ourselves today?

Martha: Having faith in God is having faith in his timetable. To make our will to His – thy will be done regardless if it a sad or happy time. I think of Nephi in 2 Nephi 4:34 “O Lord, I have trusted in thee and I will trust in thee forever....” Totally submissive to His will. If we do that, it turns out better because He knows us.

Thank you. I was thinking about that. We look at the broad view of our lives. If I align my will to His. Are my actions consistent with His will? It is a way to deepen our relationship with Him.

When we seek God's will, we follow a course in which there will be no failure.

As I read that I looked at our lives as a whole. Maybe we have not gone to the Lord to express our will. However, our lives will be more successful when we do His will.

President Snow says: There is a course that men and women may pursue wherein there will be no failure. Whatever disappointments may arise or seeming failures may result, there will be in reality no failure, as a general thing....There have been times when it seemed as though we were moving backward; at least, it has to those who were not fully enlightened in regard to the mind and will of God. The Church has passed through very strange experiences, and the people have made great sacrifices....But we have come along through these sacrifices, and as a people there has been no failure.

President Snow went through a lot; Winter Quarters, mobs murder, poverty, sickness.

Why has there been no failure? Because the people, as a whole, have had their minds fixed upon the true principles of life, and they have conformed to their duty....The people generally have had the Spirit of the Lord, and have followed it. Hence there has been no failure. So it may be with individuals. There is a course for every person to pursue in which there will be no failure. It will apply to temporal as well as spiritual matters.

Any thoughts?

Visitor: It regards to temporal matters; there are much decisions to make. We sometimes need to weight the temporal with the spiritual. Sometimes answers come in time, in searching. There's a waiting time. A timing as to when we want an answer right away. It can be difficult.

It can be difficult when we don't know His will.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell has said:
The submissions of one's will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's altar. The many other things we 'give' are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”

Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.”

Lorenzo Snow: “If your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you, and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things. Therefore sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God.”

Through the process of heavy pressures, when we try to align our will with God's then we will have comfort or blessings.

Pat H: One of the most difficult principle of the gospel is when they put 'not failing' and you know individuals, friends who have been excommunicated. I finally understand. Failure is associated with giving up, not trying. As long as you pick yourself up, sin and repent, move forward, that is not failing. It's ultimate success. Success is on a continuum. Never a failure doesn't set well with me.

I too, can think of failures. The Church has moved from place to place along the way but kept on in faith, trying.

Amy S: There will be a grand scope of things. No failure because the Lord has already triumph for all of us. Here's our part, we can choose to follow Him. Even the telestial is marvelous, it is prepare by Heavenly Father.

Visitor: When one door closes, another opens.

Ramona: We are subject to the law of justice and mercy. When I die, I want mercy.

Visitor: The Lord's will is for us to be happy, to have the spirit, no matter what happens it's for our best. We don't know better than God.

I have felt the love from Heavenly Father. There has been times in my life when I felt I was doing what I should, but learned that He is our Father, who loves us, and is in the details of our life.

Staci C: President Monson was in the Navy, I think, and then he went back into the reserves during the Korean War, he wanted to be a commission officer. 3 days after he received his commission, he was called to be a Bishop. He talked to his stake President who was Harold B. Lee. President Lee told him to go talk to the military and tell them that he wants to withdraw from the military. President Monson told him that you can't just go and withdraw from the military. He did talk to them and they let him out. He stayed to be the Bishop. He said that he really felt this was what he should do. He followed the will of the Lord. Seek the Lord's will.

Be sure and read the section As we obey God's will, He gives us power to succeed in His work. “We cannot always do what we would like to do, but we shall have the power to do that which we should do. The Lord will give us the power to do this.”

I want to end with President Snow's words: “We came into the world for a great purpose, the same as Jesus, our elder brother, to do the will and works of our Father; in this there is peace, joy and happiness, an increase of wisdom, knowledge and the power of God; outside of this are no promised blessings. Thus let us devote ourselves to righteousness, help each and all to be better and happier; do good to all and evil to none; honor God and obey His Priesthood; cultivate and preserve an enlightened conscience and follow the Holy Spirit; faint not, hold fast to what is good, endure to the end, and your cup of joy shall be full even to overflowing, for great shall be your reward for your trials and your sufferings under temptations, your fiery ordeals, your heart yearnings and tears; yea, our God will give you a crown of unfading glory.”
I want to echo that. I am grateful to a Father who knows me.

Next week's lesson is #12 “Tithing, a Law for our Protection and Advancement. It is also Father's Day. Have a great week.


Sisters, I have enjoyed keeping you informed of what is going on in Relief Society and serving you. You are a wonderful group of sisters. Adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment