Good afternoon sisters. What a
beautiful day. Hope you have a great Memorial Day remembering and
honoring all those who have served, are serving to keep our country
free.
THOUGHT: “You
are chosen to be faithful women of God in our day, to stand above
pettiness, gossip, selfishness, lewdness, and all other forms of
ungodliness. Recognize your divine birthright as daughters of our
Heavenly Father”
Howard
W. Hunter
ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Stake Choir final practice at 6:30 – 8:00 pm, in the chapel. They are in need of people, especially men. Come, even if you haven't come to the other practices.
- You are invited to attended the Memorial Day breakfast and though it is fund raiser and you can't afford to pay, please do come and support the youth. Donate what you can at this time.
- The youth need an approximate count for the Breakfast, so if you haven't signed up yet, please let them know.
There
are no birthdays this week.
Our
lesson today was from April General Conference “The
Lord's Way”
by Elder Stanley G. Ellis.
Question?
If you only had 5 minutes to teach the world, what message would you
teach? Some of the seventys only have 5 minutes to speak and this
morning we will be talking about Elder Ellis' address.
I
have a handout if any of you want to take one and maybe use it in
your Family Home Evenings.
The
Lord's way is that we hearken to our leaders' teachings, understand
correct principles, and govern ourselves.
A
little bit about Elder Ellis. He spoke in General Conference in 2006
- “He Trust Us” while he was in the 2nd
Quorum of Seventy and now he is in the First Quorum of Seventy so
we'll probably hear from him some more in the future. He is a
father of 9, and is an Idaho farm boy. Has 22 grandchildren,
attended Harvard University and BYU.
He
tells us who he is and what he's about.
I serve as a Seventy. The Seventy are called to be messengers—to
share the word of the Lord as we receive it from the apostles and
prophets and from the Spirit and to be especial witnesses of the name
of Christ in preaching the gospel in all the world, in building up
the Church and regulating its affairs.
I
grew up on a farm near Burley, Idaho—a real “Idaho farm boy!”
As such I learned.
- To work—if you don't plant, you don't harvest.
- To work smart—if you irrigate and fertilize, you harvest more.
- The importance of timing—if you don't plant at the right time, an early frost can destroy the harvest.
- To do what is needed or ought to b e done regardless of what is enjoyable, preferable, or convenient—you milk the cow when she needs to be milked, not when you want to.
- To be direct—with livestock and machnery involved, you don't have time to “beat around the bush” or to worry about being politically correct. (In this respect, as I have served throughout the Church, I have often asked, “Do you want me to speak directly or with sugar?” As a rule the Saints have chosen “direct!” I will be direct today.)
- Finally, as an Idaho farm boy, I learned to stick to the basics.
As
I listened to his talk, I noticed that whenever he spoke of God, he
became very emotional. Maybe someone who has worked with God's
creation, planting, weeding, harvesting, etc., has more time to think
and ponder about the things of God. While they take care of their
flocks, a sick animal, nourishing God's creation, they pray for their
farm, their crops, their animals, and they develop a special
relationship with the Lord.
“Nothing
is more basic to all of us, and our doctrine, than the truth of the
first article of faith: We
believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus
Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.”
Ramona: He was humble.
“Further, He
is our Heavenly Father, who knows us, loves us, and wants us to
return to Him. Jesus is our Savior and Redeemer, who through the
Atonement made it certain we will overcome death, and live again and
possible for us to be exalted and have eternal life. The Holy Ghost
is our comforter, revelator, teacher, testifier, and guide.
Think of it,
brothers and sisters—we are not spiritual orphans! We are not
alone.
He mentions this again toward the end of his talk. What is the
advantage of having parents on earth and in Heaven?
Sally S: Parents love us and teach us.
He answers the question. “What are the advantages of having
parents—of not being an orphan? We can learn from them, benefit
from their experience, avoid pitfalls they warn us about, and
understand better because of their perspective. We don't have to be
lost, confused, deceived, or less effective. This is especially true
in the case of our Heavenly Father, who has taught us and shown us
not just a way but the way.
God has the way. “In fact, God has the way to live, to love, to
help, to pray, to talk, to interact with each other, to lead, to
marry, to raise children, to learn, to know the truth, to share the
gospel, to choose wisely what we eat, etc.”
Along with the scriptures, some great sources for finding the Lord's
way are True to the Faith, For the Strength of Youth,
and other teachings of the living apostles and prophets.
- For example, the Lord has taught us in the scriptures: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
- One of the evils of these last days is that “every man walketh in his own way”. In Proverbs we are warned to “be not wise in thine own eyes” and to “lean not unto thine own understanding”.
- We are taught that if we do things the Lord's way, He is bound to bless us and we have claim to His promises; and if not His way, we have no promise.
- The Lord contrasted His way with our way in His training of the prophet Samuel, who was sent to find a new king: “But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countanance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart”.
- Even with the universally accepted desire to help the poor and needy, the Lord concurs in our goal but warns, “But it must needs be done in mine own way”. Otherwise, in our efforts to help, we may actually hurt them. The Lord has taught us the need to promote self-reliance. Even if we are able to help, we should not give or provide what they can and should do for themselves. Everywhere it is tried, the world learns the evils of the dole. Truly God knows best.
Let's see what some of the scripture references tell us.
Chao: To Live; They were happy. All things must be
done in order. Keep the commandments, ask in prayer, always being
thankful, have faith, hope, and charity. Abound in good works.
Nicole L: To Love: Not commit adultry. Love the
Lord. Love one another. Be chaste.
He says: “The Lord has His way, or the way, to love. Those of
the world say that what really matters is that two people love each
other. Our Father in Heaven teaches that this is important, but He
teaches us more: that there is an authorized way and time to express
that love.
Sally S: To Talk: A soft answer turneth away wrath: but
grievous words stir up anger. Speech be always with grace, seasoned
with salt. Swear not. Not have spirit of contention.
To Lead:
Know who we serve, give life for sheep. Not be slothful. Be kind,
have Holy Ghost, show love.
Share the
gospel: Open your mouth. Lift
up your voice...speak thoughts I shall put into your hears.
He
gave us a lot of information, we just need to dig a little deeper.
“Let's
consider some other examples. The Lord has the way to do missionary
work. It is codified in the scriptures and in Preach
My Gospel and
implemented as guided by the Spirit.
Codified?
Rachelle F:
A group of laws, statures, very specified and exactly how to apply
them.
Also
systemize, breakdown.
Governing
Ourselves: “Joseph Smith was taught from his youth the ways of the
Lord. When asked how he led the Church, he explained that he taught
correct principles and the members governed themselves. Brothers and
sisters, our living apostles and prohets are still teaching correct
princiiples. The question is “Are we using these
principles to govern ourselves?”
“One
thing we have often been taught is to bloom where we are planted.
Yet sometimes we are tempted to migrate to some new area, thinking
our children will have more friends and therefore better youth
programs.
“Brothers
and sisters, do we really think the critical factor in the salvation
of our children is the neighborhood where we live? The apostles and
prophets have often taught that what happens inside the home is far
more important than what our children encounter outside. How
we raise our children is more important than where
we raise them.
The
most important thing is what we teach in the home.
“Another
question is “Where are we needed?” For 16 years I served in the
presidency of the Houston Texas North Stake. Many moved to our area
during those years. We would often receive a phone call announcing
someone moving in and asking which was the best ward. Only once in
16 years did I receive a call asking, “Which ward needs a good
family? Where can we help?”
I
believe that if we turn it over to the Lord we will know where to go.
I think that is why we are so blessed to be here together. Some are
here for a while and then move on and take with them some thing they
can use to help in their new areas.
Lynette:
I heard about a family who was looking for a home and their real
estate person was showing homes in this area and told them that he
didn't know about this area, but he felt good here.
Visitor:
We served in the Philippines and when our plane landed there, we
were in cultural shock. It's not really a 3rd
world country, but it feels like it. We experienced many miracles,
as we preached pure doctrine. There was a great influence, to know,
to be able to present this pure doctrine. When I forgot my self, I
felt great joy. I changed my attitude. I was involved in his work
and felt in love with my service. I could see the potential in the
Saints, to help them work. They have nothing, but they have
everything.
Yes,
Preach My Gospel. My missionary daughter sings its praises. I
bought a lot of the mini Preach My Gospel and she gives them to
companions, etc. So if you want to send something to a missionary, a
mini Preach My Gospel is great.
Holly B:
When we were reading about Bloom where you are planted, it brought
emotion into my heart. A few weeks back, we went to the Tulip
Festivale with my family and we were taking pictures. One of the
pictures was of purple tulips and in the middle of it, was one red
tulip. It was like that conference talk, Utah needed one Georgia
peach. We can grow, share the light whereever.
We
do have sisters from all over the place here. We can bloom in our
callings, how we serve. For some it is harder to receive than to
give. If ever I was in need, I want to be here.
Especially
Important: “With all that is happening in the Church today, and as
the Lord in hastening His work on every side, it is even more
critically important that we do all we do in His way!”
Sisters,
the train is moving, we do not want to miss the ride.
“Especially
in the work of salvation, we learn that “in the gift of his Son
hath God prepared a more excellent way”. The doctrine of Christ
“is the way, and there is none other way nor name given under
heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God”.
We
need to live it, know it, and get that message out.
He
concludes by saying: “As we see so many in the world today living
in confusion or, worse, wandering in forbidden paths and suffering
unnecessarily the consequences of poor choices, it makes me want to
exclaim as did Alma:
“O
that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I
might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake
the earth, and cry repentance unto every people?
“Yea,
I would declare unto every soul....the plan of redemption, that they
should repent and come unto our God [and His ways], that there might
not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth”.
Again,
I witness the Lord has the way! Our Heavenly Father knows us, loves
us, and wants to help. He knows best how to help. We are not
spiritual orphans!
I
want to bear testimony and add mine to his closing comments. As I
studied this talk, I thought of a hymn and had words running through
my mind. The book I had didn't have an index, and the only word I
thought of was 'light, so I went through the hymn book until I found
it. It is #89 “The Lord Is
My Light”
The
Lord is my light, then why should I fear? By day and by night his
presence is near.
He
is my salvation from sorrow and sin; This blessed assurance the
Spirit doth bring.
The
Lord is my light, tho clouds may arise, Faith, stronger than sight,
looks up thru the skies
Where
Jesus forever in glory doth reign. Then how can I ever in darkness
remain?
The
Lord is my light; the Lord is my strength. I know in his might I'll
conquer at length.
My
weakness in mercy he covers with pow'r, And walking by faith, I am
blest every hour.
The
Lord is my light, my all and in all. There is in his sight no
darkness at all.
He
is my Redeemer, my Savior, and King. With Saints and with angels his
praises I'll sing.
This
is my testimony. The Lord is my light.
Micheale C:
I teach Sunday School using the new curriculum. I asked them how
many have Preach My Gospel in their homes. If we are training them
how to be missionaries, we have to be the example. I have to know
what is in Preach My Gospel. I convert them so they can go convert
others.
I
confess that I have to open the cover. It's not enough to buy them.
I have to study them.
Nicole:
My husband and I both served missions, and we use Preach My Gospel
to teach our boys. It is so nice, the discussions are in their hands
before they ever go into the MTC. They already know what they will
be teaching. It brings back memories of our mission and we are able
to share those experiences with them. It is good for us, this
missionary work. The children can feel the excitement as we share
with them.
Petra:
It is very powerful. It gives them meat. They learn how to present
the meat at their level. This is a better way. In the home they can
learn to teach according to the understanding of their siblings.
Dana
S and her husband will be leaving in 3 weeks to be Mission President
and wife to Florida. They had my son in their home while he was
doing the missionary week thing. He taught from the Preach My Gospel
and they made him feel so comfortable. They asked questions that
were not hard for him to answer. They helped him conquer his fears.
I hope next time the youth do this, we can all take part.
Chao:
It came full circle for me. As an investigator, the missionary used
to use flip charts, but when they bore testimony, I felt the spirit.
I see my boys as teenagers, but when one of the families told me that
they felt the spirit of their testimonies as they went into their
home, I thought, “They did that? It is very inspiring.
Alisa J:
When I first heard the idea of a return missionary man and a return
missionary girl getting married and the strength they could bring
into their home, I felt, well, both my husband and I are returned
missionary. But parents can still teach their children even if they
are not both returned missionaries. We can still teach our children.
“Our
Savior, Jesus Christ, is “the way, the truth, and the life”. His
way is based on eternal truth and leads us to “peace in this world,
and eternal life in the world to come”. I so testify in the name
of Jesus Christ.”
Don't
forget Stake Conference is next weekend. Have a nice week.




No comments:
Post a Comment