Sunday, May 12, 2013

lupe's notes May 12th 2013


Dear Sisters, hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

THOUGHT: If we are faithful we will associate with each other in an immortal and glorious state....Those connections formed here, that are of the most enduring character, shall exist in eternity.”
Lorenzo Snow

ANNOUNCEMENTS:


  1. Mommy Mingle on Wednesday the 15th at Melissa Brady's backyard at 10:30-12:30.
  2. Stake Choir will have last practice on May 26th in the chapel at 6:30-8:00 pm.
  3. May 19th will be Seminary Recognition Night at 6 pm at the Stake Center.
  4. May 18th: Eagle Court of Honor will be held for Will I, Bryce E and Tristan S at 7 pm at the Stake Center Culture Hall.
  5. Reminder for the youth participating in Trek, to start walking so they'll be in shape for the Trek.
  6. June – will have opportunity to help the young women prepare for Trek. We will be making clothing appropriate for Trek. D.I. May have full long skirts, etc.

BIRTHDAYS: May 16th – Angie T. Happy birthday.

Lesson today was presented by Holly B, who substituted for Tiffany. Lorenzo Snow manual, lesson # 9 “Sacred Family Relationships”

Happy Mother's Day to all. This is my first Mother's Day; something I have looked forward to for a long time. This lesson is so appropriate for this day.

Anticipating his 70th birthday, Lorenzo Snow invited all his children and their families to gather in Brigham City, Utah, for a “gran re-union and anniversary celebration.” He arranged for their lodging and food and for programs that all, including the young children, would enjoy. “The more I reflect upon this subject [of a family re-union], he wrote, “the greater are my anxieties and desires for a family gathering, that I may see you all once in my life, and give you a father's blessing.” He urged them to let nothing prevent their attendance “except the most serious and insurmountable obstacles.”

How nice to know that President Snow was directing all these.

The Snow family gathered from May 7 to 9, 1884, and enjoyed music, theatrical productions, speeches, poetry, games, food, and friendly conversation. President Snow's sister Eliza reported that throughout the event, he attended “various meetings of the family, and in the capacity of Patriarch,....engaged in conferring blessings upon members” and giving “much fatherly counsel, instruction and admonition.

This is the last family re-union we have reason to expect this side of the spirit world. May the God of our fathers help us to keep His laws, live honorable lives, preserve inviolate our virtue and integrity, listen to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit, and seek diligently to purify ourselves, that not a single member of this family be lost by deviating from the straight and narrow path, but may we all prove ourselves worth to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection, crowned with glory, perpetuating in immortality the family union, and continue to increase down through the endless ages of eternity.”

So he was saying, how nice to gather, we'll do it again later in the spirit world.


What are some experiences that you have enjoyed with family reunions?

Katy D: We get to see and enjoy good role models.
Amy S: I really didn't like my father's side of the family. Then we attended a family reunion and I had the opportunity to meet some of the siblings and found them to be loving people. It changed my perspective of how I felt about my last name and of my dad. We had fun interacting with the children, with the cousins. It had a hugh impact on me.

I like hearing that it changed your perspective and created good memories.

Holly M: Thinking in terms of genealogy; it helps you see where you fit in within a bigger group; where I fit in. You get to see beyond yourself and more a part of a family group.

Megan's mom: I remember the family stories that are told at family reunions. They help to bind families together.

My parents took us to Georgia for a reunion and I was able to hear stories about my dad when he was young.

Martha: Francesca as a missionary in Italy is seeing a picture of ancestors and hearing testimonies. She is feeling angels round about her – my mother's mom, grandmother. We are connected with those on the other side.

How can we help our families stay united?

Micheale C: Have more understanding about our ancestors, so that we are better able to stay on track.

Yes, it is harder to disappoint grandparents. I feel that a lot of my decisions in life has been because my grandma is watching.

Sally S: We always used to hear “remember who you are.” In reunions, it's more about who they are.

Karen M: We have a son in Chicago who encourages family letters. A family is in charge for a year and each family is to write every month. Some of the things are very honest and we learn things we would not otherwise. It helps us grow and understand about each other.

Shanel: There are angels among us. Dan likes to say to our daughter when she goes out on a date, “say hi to grandma.” We don't give the Temple enough credit. The power of the priesthood starts right now.

When I was growing up, about 8 years old, we liked to cook outdoors and my dad was doing hot dogs and one fell to the ground. Well, it was given to someone, but only mother knew who she had given it to. We were told that when all are married in the Temple, she will tell us who ate it. It's an inside joke, but it helps us be one step closer to keep our family united.

Quote 1 – Heather F:
Encourage marriage....and impress upon [others] the sacredness of that relation and the obligation they are under to observe that great commandment which was given of God to our first parents, to multiply and replenish the earth. This is all the more necessary, in view of the present tendency in the world to disregard that law and to dishonor the marriage covenant. It is saddening to note the frequency of divorces in the land and the growing inclination to look upon children as an encumbrance instead of as a precious heritage from the Lord.”

That was counsel given in 1901. The Family, Proclamation to the world was given in 1995. It is very relevant today. Encourage marriage.

Heather: it is the counsel to date, not just hang out. Getting those YSA dating.

He is talking about what was happening then. The first step is to encourage marriage, raising children and being parents.

What can we do to help the youth of the Church understand the sacredness of the marriage covenant?

Megan D: My daughter asked me 'what's the coolest thing you have ever done? Marrying your dad. I was able to share deeply with her my personal experience. Take and share what you believe and know.

I believe talking is really good. Glad that she is listening now. My sister is YW president in Georgia and she had one of the girls say that she didn't think her parents were very attentive. So my sister told her how her parents had met and she was surprised to learn that about her parents. Share your story with others. How you met your husbands.

Melissa Ba.: My three year old says to me when we drive by the temple that she was in my tummy. When they are asking questions, tell them about Heavenly Father's plan. Encourage the order of things. Marriage, children, etc. Tell them that this will help them to be happy and be together again.

I served a mission on Temple Square and it always made me feel good to talk about God's plan for the family. Even if they are just little, they will know.

Laurie A: It is important for the kids see that you are not perfect but that you love him and he loves you. Involve the Lord in all your decisions. Be honest. We're all in this together. Involve the Lord.

I asked my mom if she ever thought I would be married to Jeff. She said he is perfect for you.

Amy W: I'm not very good at expressing feelings like saying to my kids, I love your father. On our anniversary we have a party with the family. We talk about the temple and our family. It is an anniversary of our family. We talk about how they are part of our family. It's nice when they ask questions.

I think it's great celebrating the family.

Karalee M: Quote 2
There is no Latter-day Saint who dies after having lived a faithful life who will lose anything because of having failed to do certain things when opportunities were not furnished him or her. In other words, if a young man or a young woman has no opportunity of getting married, and they live faithful lives up to the time of their death, they will have all the blessings, exaltation and glory that any man or woman will have who had this opportunity and improved it. That is sure and positive...”

I love that paragraph. It reinforces Heavenly Father's love for us. Do the best that I can in preparing for someone.

See that the little, trifling misunderstandings in domestic concerns do not poison your happiness.”
Wives, be faithful to your husbands. I know you have to put up with many unpleasant things, and your husbands have to put up with some things as well. Doubtless you are sometime tried by your husbands, on account perhaps of the ignorance of your husbands, or perchance at times because of your own ignorance.”

...I do not say but that your husbands are bad—just as bad as you are, and probably some of them are worse; but, never mind: try to endure the unpleasantnesses which arise at times, and when you meet each other in the next life you will feel glad that you put up with those things.”

Marlene L: Pat shared something with us as we talked about the challenge women have when they get together and say negative things. Pat, will you share with us?

Pat H: I learned this from a friend of mine, her name is Virginia. She had lost her husband and one day in Relief Society, the women were complaining about things that bothered them about their husbands. One mentioned that he would leave his socks on the floor and shoes wherever and she had to put them in the closet. It irritated the woman. Virginia, whose husband had been killed in an airplane accident said, “I would give anything on the earth to trip over his shoes”. My husband died on Mother's Day and the night before I tripped over his shoes and almost fell on my face, but then I remembered her words and smiled as I lay beside my husband. I would give anything to have his shoes where I could trip over them and pick up his socks.

Holly M: There are lots of things that cause irritation. Some are valid, but we have to work through the deeper things. Seeing our spouses through the Lord's eyes. Be on your knees and keep the spirit strong. Get out of yourself.

Your disposition changes and you have a better outlook. Your children see that.

Micheale C: Read his Patriarchal Blessings. You will be able to see how the Lord sees him.

Kathleen S: My husband comes from a broken home, but he is better able to teach me about relationships. I'm easily offended and he reminds me to not be offended. He says that if we can't communicate, then we don't really know each other. That I have 3 seconds to decide how I will deal with it. Step back, don't be offended.

Your husband is able to teach that to the children too. Sometimes we feel we know the Sunday School answers, scripture study, prayer, conference talks. As we are able to come together, can tell stories, share feelings to remind us that marriage is eternal. That relationships matter. I have a testimony of family and am grateful for Temples. I hope that it never gets old.

Next Weeks's lesson is #10 “Come into the Temples” from Lorenzo Snow manual. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment